Regulations Governing the Nomination
of Doctoral Committees
- Doctoral committees are appointed by the Dean of the Graduate Division acting for the Graduate Council, upon nomination by the Chair of the Department or Interdepartmental Program after consultation with the student.
- Doctoral committees consist of a minimum of four faculty members from UCLA of the following academic ranks:
- Professor (any rank)
- Professor or Associate Professor Emeritus
- Professor-in-Residence (any rank)
- Acting Professor or Acting Associate Professor
- On professional (non-Ph.D.) doctoral committees, Adjunct Professors (any rank) and Professors of Clinical X (any rank) may serve as one of the four regular members and/or Co-chair.
- Three of the four doctoral committee members must hold an appointment at UCLA in the student’s major department.ww
- One of the four doctoral committee members must hold an appointment at UCLA in a department “outside” the student’s major department. (Note: Faculty who hold multiple appointments count as “inside” if one of those appointments is in the student’s department.)
- Two of the four doctoral committee members must hold the rank of Professor or Associate Professor (regular or in-Residence series).
- The Chair of the doctoral committee must hold a UCLA appointment in the student’s major department or interdepartmental degree program as Professor (any rank, regular or in-Residence series), or Professor or Associate Professor Emeritus.
- Additional members (above the minimum number of four) may be nominated and, if appointed, have the same voting rights and responsibilities as the other committee members.
- Those holding the titles indicated in 2. above, as well as Adjunct Professor and Adjunct Associate Professor, Professor of Clinical X, and Visiting Professor or Visiting Associate Professor may serve as additional members (above the minimum of four) and may also serve as Co-chair of the Committee.
- By petition, one of the minimum four members may be a faculty member from another UC campus who holds an appropriate appointment as listed above.
*Interdepartmental Degree Programs
- The three committee members from the student’s “department” must be selected from a list of faculty members who actively participate in the program. This list will be prepaired by the Chair of the Interdepartmental Degree Committee and submitted to the Graduate Division at the beginning of each fall term.
- The one “outside” member will be selected from eligible UCLA faculty whose names do not appear on the list of faculty members who actively participate in the interdepartmental program.
- Two different departmental affiliations must be represented among the four memebers of the doctoral committee.